Founded in 1872 to serve the higher education needs of Central West Virginia, Glenville State College has gained wide recognition for teaching excellence.
In an 1873 letter to the editor of the Weston Democrat a writer said, "No place on earth could have been found more suitable for the establishment of the State Normal School than Glenville. The place is retired, healthy and possesses every qualification requisite for a place of study and thought. The inhabitants are civil, moral, refined, religious, and generous to a fault."
In 1910, the college enrollment had exceeded the population of Glenville. As the college grew to a full four-year college in 1931, teacher preparation continued to be the central mission. Over the years, the campus became known as the "Lighthouse on the Hill" for both the quality of the teaching and the quality of GSC graduates.
Today, GSC still maintains our focus on teacher preparation, while offering additional degree programs in business, human services and land resources.
Throughout our history, GSC has maintained a long tradition of teaching excellence by professors who care about each student as an individual, who take the time to get to know each student’s goals and who are committed to helping students get an education that will prepare them for a successful career. GSC professors are very approachable and willing to give personal support to help students succeed.
Four simple, although powerful, words describe our collective work...Tradition, Innovation, Leadership and Community.
We honor our proud traditions by attending to teaching excellence and building academic programs of distinction. Our innovations are aimed at meeting the changing needs of our society. We prepare leaders for West Virginia, and we demonstrate our own leadership throughout all areas of our college community. We demonstrate the highest ideals of a thoughtful, caring community. These words serve as our calling and symbolize Glenville State College.