Graduates will have knowledge, analytical skills, and communication abilities to fill employer needs for the wood industries, consulting firms, and government agencies involved with the management of timberland, marketing of timber, wood products manufacturing and similar activities. This associate degree program operates with an active advisory committee and the program is one of 18 recognized by the Society of American Foresters.
- Graduates will have the educational background to achieve the experience necessary to be a Registered Forest Technician in West Virginia.
- Students will earn a private application license to purchase and use plant pesticides.
- Students will achieve the standards required in best management practices, first aid and chainsaw safety to become a certified logger in West Virginia.
- Graduates will be able to obtain a B.S. degree in two additional years at Glenville in biological science or business management.
- Graduates will be eligible to become forest technician members in the Society of American Foresters and foresters with the West Virginia Forestry Association.
A graduate of this program will:
- Be able to identify and name woody plant and animal members of the forest community and understand their biological and ecological functions.
- Prescribe silviculture practices to meet landowner objectives such as tree plantings, thinnings, forest regeneration, invasive species control and prescribed fire.
- Measure the volume and value of standing timber and be able to grade trees, logs and lumber.
- Understand the role of fires, insects, and diseases in the forests and recommend actions for the protection of forest resources.
- Be able to interpret imagery and utilize geospatial technology for cartography and analysis.
- Develop and prescribe forest and wildlife management plans to meet forest landowner objectives such as timber production, wildlife and fish habitat, aesthetics, and recreation.
- Be able to utilize courthouse records, contracts, maps, and proper timber harvesting techniques in order to plan and supervise timber harvests for private and public clients.