Glenville State College Commencement
May 11, 2013
Physical Education Building
Jesse R. Lilly, Jr. Gymnasium
- Class of 2013
- Keynote Speaker - WV Senate President Jeff Kessler
- Area Lodging
- Directions to Campus
- Ceremony Seating
- Handicap Accessibility
- Graduation Fee & Deadline
- Graduation Instructions
- Scenes from Commencement 2012
- Order Professional GSC Commencement Photographs
- All candidates except the Regents Bachelor of Arts who complete graduation requirements in May are required to participate in commencement. If extenuating circumstances warrant graduation in absentia the May candidate for graduation must write a letter to:
Dr. John Peekor email firstname.lastname@example.org requesting permission to be excused from the commencement ceremony.
200 High Street
Glenville, WV 26351
December and July graduates are encouraged to participate in the May commencement exercise as well; interested graduates should email email@example.com so that they may be included in the ceremony.
- Commencement Dress
- All candidates for graduation wear caps and gowns which may be purchased at the Glenville State College Bookstore. Business-casual clothing is expected for students walking at commencement.
- Men: a collared dress shirt, dark, long pants and closed shoes.
- Women: dresses, skirts or dark-colored slacks with shirts/blouses and shoes appropriate for walking.
- Honor Stoles/Cords
- Due to the formality of our commencement ceremony, the only accessories to be worn with the traditional cap and gown are academic honor stoles/cords.
Students who have achieved academic honors (overall 3.50 GPA & up) will be invited to receive their honor stoles at an honor's reception on Thursday, May 9. Students unable to attend the reception will be given their honor stole during line up for graduation on Saturday morning.
- Graduating students should report to Room 300B (the Ballroom) of the Mollohan Community Center by no later than 8:30 a.m., where they will be given further instructions.
- Platform party moves out first, followed by 50 year grads, then faculty and then graduates.
- Graduation Ceremony
- Caps are worn with tassels on right. Men remove caps for National Anthem, the Spirit of Celebration and Alma Mater. Degree Candidates will be given a signal from the Provost to come forward. Students in the row coming forward will remain standing while other rows are seated. Directed by faculty marshals, first row begins moving toward the stage; other rows follow as directed. As your name is called you will move across the stage to the President, who will hand you the diploma cover, for a handshake and photo and then to the Provost. You will then return to your original seat
- Platform party moves out first, followed by the 50 year grads, then the faculty and the graduates.
- Class Photo
- After graduation, graduates will be led out to greet faculty and then on to the amphitheatre for a class picture. Families should wait at the reception area while students are getting the class photo taken.
- Students Taking Courses at Other Institutions
- If you took a class this semester at another institution you must request an official transcript be sent to:
Denise EllysonThe transcript must be here by no later than Tuesday, June 11, 2013 for your graduation status to become official.
200 High St.
Glenville, WV 26351