1 box containing 3 manuals and 2 in. of correspondence
Correspondence between Dr. Heflin and the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA); final reports and recommendation from NCA; working schedules and supporting documents of the evaluation; copies of forms used in the evaluation; publications and manuals of NCA; comparison information of another college.
The North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
The North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA) is the largest of the six regional accrediting associations that monitor the United States schools internationally. NCA schools share the purpose of improving education through cooperative efforts with others.
NCA is a non-governmental voluntary membership association of educational institutions located in a 19-state region that includes the Navajo Nation and the Department of Defense Dependent Schools. As a regional accrediting association, NCA is recognized by the United States Department of Education.
The North Central Association consists of two commissions, the NCA Higher Learning Commission which accredits community colleges, colleges and universities, and the Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (CASI) , which accredits elementary, middle level, secondary, independent, adult and vocational, alternative and unit schools. Elected representatives of member schools serving on committees in each state serve as Commissioners and establish the policies and standards for membership and the procedures for school improvement activities.
History of the North Central Association
The concept of a regional accrediting association in the Midwest was first introduced at the 1894 Schoolmaster's Club meeting in Ypsilanti, Michigan. The organization then sponsored a conference for education officials from several Midwestern states. This organizing meeting took place on March 29-30, 1895, at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. The 1994-95 school year marked the 100-year anniversary of the North Central Association. Michigan was one of the original states and accredited sixteen schools in 1904; the first year NCA accredited schools.