This collection includes a photograph of each GSC Pioneer Mascot, from the first one in 1933 to the present. A framed collection of GSC Pioneers now hangs on a wall in the Physical Education Building on the second floor landing.
In the early years, the Pioneer rode in an ox-cart pulled by a team of yoked oxen in the parade. His regalia of a suit of buckskin, coonskin cap, muzzle loading rifle, and a jug has varied through the years, but the idea has remained the same.
In 1933, Charles Barnett had the distinction of becoming the first official Glenville Pioneer. His duties were to participate in the Homecoming parade and to "rouse the spirit" of the student body in support of the football team at the Homecoming game.
WWII made it necessary to cancel the Homecoming activities until the fall of 1946.
When the tradition of the Pioneer Mascot began, a candidate had to be a male senior of good academic standing who had never lettered in any sport at Glenville. Times have changed, and Glenville has had two women serve as Pioneers; one in 1990-91 and one in 1993-94.