Verona Mapel 1853-1933
Principal of the Glenville Branch of the West Virginia State Normal School
Verona Mapel was born at Spage’s Post Office in Green County, Pennsylvania. She attended the Fairmont State Normal School and graduated in 1879. She immediately began her teaching career in the public school system. Before coming to Glenville, she was an assistant principal at Bridgeport, a teacher at Triadelphia, and a teacher at Romney. In 1882, she was hired at the Glenville Normal with the title of First Assistant to the Principal. The responsibilities of this position would have involved teaching several courses.
During 1891, the Glenville Normal’s Principal, Robert W. Tapp, passed away and the responsibilities to continue running the school fell to Miss Verona Mapel. She would serve the 1891-1892 school year as acting Principal. After 1892, she continued serving the pupils of Glenville until she left in 1895 to teach at West Liberty College, where she also served as First Assistant. During the same year of her departure from Glenville, she was married to Linn Brannon, a Glenville lawyer and judge. In 1905, she moved to Weston. This would be where she spent the remainder of her life. Although retired, Verona stayed active in the civic affairs of the area. She also served as a state regent in the Daughters of the American Revolution. Verona Mapel Brannon passed away on October 18, 1933 at her home in Weston, WV.
In 1924, the West Virginia Legislature appropriated $110,000 to be used for a new dormitory at Glenville. In 1926, this dormitory was completed with the capacity for eighty students. Although the building had been intended for men, the demand for more rooms for women ended up being greater. This new girl’s dorm was then given the name, Verona Mapel Hall, in honor of this woman’s success as a former teacher and principal. This beautiful structure was advertised as being on a beautiful elevation overlooking the town of Glenville. It had three floors and a full basement. The student rooms were furnished with the most modern equipment, which included many overhead electric lights. This building and its grand balconies are credited with luring many young women to Glenville for their studies. Although many students and faculty put forth effort to save the building, it was torn down in 1978 because of upkeep costs.