Following the recommendation of the Intellectual Freedom Committee of the American Library Association and the West Virginia Code*, the Robert F. Kidd Library staff protects the privacy of all library users of any service. No record is maintained that would link a user to materials or services once the materials are returned or a service is completed. Records gathered for statistical purposes are retained separately and independently from user identification unless knowingly kept through the willing agreement of the library user. Social Security numbers are no longer asked for or used for identification purposes.
The confidentiality of the library user shall be maintained. No library employee shall reveal the identity of a borrower or any other information relating to the borrower to any requestor outside proper legal order or subpoena.
Any concerns that arise from this standing should be referred to the Library Director.
*The West Virginia Code sets forth the confidential nature of certain library records in Title 10-1-22 as follows:
- Circulation and similar records of any public library in this state which identify the user of library materials are not public records but shall be confidential and may not be disclosed except:
- To members of the library staff in the ordinary course of business;
- Upon written consent of the user of the library materials or the user's parents or guardian if the user is a minor or ward; or
- Upon appropriate court order of subpoena.
- Any disclosure authorized by subsection (a) of this section or any unauthorized disclosure of materials made confidential by that subsection (a) does not in any way destroy the confidential nature of that material, except for the purpose for which an authorized disclosure is made. A person disclosing material as authorized by subsection (a) of this section is not liable therefore.