GSC News

Pioneers Suffer First Conference Loss

The Pioneers would get on the scoreboard first at the 10:38 mark in the second quarter on a Colston Bayless 34 yards field goal

Athens, WV – The GSC Pioneers football team lost their first WVIAC Conference game of the season today at the hands of the Concord University Mountain Lions 14-9.

The Pioneers got the first possession of the game but it didn’t go as planned when GSC quarterback, Darold Hughes, took a shot deep to have it intercepted by Concord’s Kevin Elliott on the first play of the game.

The Mountain Lions drove all the way down to the Pioneers 35 yard line but after a failed fourth down attempt GSC got the ball right back.

Both teams would struggle back and fourth in the first quarter with neither team finding any points as the first quarter ended at zero apiece.

The Pioneers would be thy first to get on the scoreboard  at the 10:38 mark in the second quarter on a Colston Bayless 34 yards field goal, making it 3-0 GSC.

The Pioneers would then kickoff to the Mountain Lions but on the return Nate Pollard would fumble and GSC’s Darren Holbrook would come up with the recovery at the Concord’s 20 yard line.

With the ball and a great opportunity the Pioneers would once again look to find the endzone but would walk away with only three points again this time off of the foot of Eddie McKay from 47 yards out, as the Pioneers took a 6-0 lead at the 8:36 mark in the second quarter.

The Pioneers would have one more opportunity to score right before halftime but Hughes was intercepted again by Riyahd Richardson as GSC would take only a 6-0 lead into halftime.

In the second half, Concord would pick their game up and score on their first possession of the third quarter at the 10:14 mark as Ben Nester would score on a two yard run as Concord took their first lead, 7-6.

On the Pioneers next possession Eddie McKay would attempt another 47 yard field goal but this one bit the up right and was no good as Concord held onto the slight lead as the third quarter came to an end.

But the Mountain Lions were not finished as they would find the endzone again at the 10:33 mark in the fourth quarter as Ben Nester again scored this time from 5 yards out, putting Concord up 14-6.

GSC would then take their next possession and drive 30 yards in 8 plays but again had to settle for another field goal from Eddie McKay this one coming from 45 yards out as the Pioneers made it 14-9.

But the Pioneers could not find the endzone on their last possession as they went for it on a fourth and fifteen but the pass fell incomplete as Concord would hand GSC their first conference loss of the season 14-9.

The Pioneers were led on the ground by Rahmann Lee as he carried the ball 19 times for 105 yards.

Darold Hughes went 8 for 21 for 101 yards but had two costly interceptions. Justin Feagin played most of the fourth quarter at quarterback as he went 3 for 6 for 32 yards.

Darian Cleckley caught 4 passes for 65 yards, while Orlandus Harris caught 2 passes for 22 yards.

Devin Cain led the Pioneer defense with 9 tackles while James Johnson had 5.5 tackles and also an interception.

Calvinaugh Jones rushed for 186 yards for Concord on 30 carries. Ben Nester ran the ball 7 times for 28 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Albert Rose went 9 for 18 for 63 yards and an interception.

Ansel Ponder caught 4 passes for 29 yards.

Jake Lilly led the Mountain Lions defense with 8.5 tackles.

The Pioneers 2-4 (2-1) return to action next Saturday as they return home to Morris Stadium to take on West Virginia State. Kickoff is set for 1:00 pm.

This entry was posted in Football. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.
  • Categories

  • Archives