Ph.D. History, University of Nebraska, 2003. Major Field, Modern Europe History; Minor, World History; and Specialization, Military History
M.A. History, University of Nebraska, 1995. Master’s Thesis -- “British Naval Policy and a Permanent Base for the Home Fleet, March 1935-March 1940”
M.A. Geography, Marshall University. Anticipated graduation date – December 2018.
Thirteen graduate hours in Geography, University of Nebraska, 2003-2004
B.A. University of Iowa, 1985. Major, history and minor, geography. Junior year abroad at the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow Scotland.
- Book: Mud: A Military History, Washington DC: Potomac Books Inc., 2006 and was selected as an Association of the U.S. Army (AUSA) book. In 2007, the book was translated into Polish and published by Bellona Press of Warsaw.
- Chapter: "Soil and Warfare" in Landa, Edward R. and Christian Feller, eds. Soil and Culture, New York: Springer, 2009.
- Encyclopedia Articles: "Battle of Killicrankie", "Battle of Nagashino", "Battle of Sekigahara", "Battle of St. Mihiel", "Oda Nobunaga", "Frederick Sleigh Roberts", Magill's Guide to Military History, edited by John Powell, Salem Press, Inc., 2001.
- Encyclopedia Article: "Battle of Culloden", Land Warfare: An Encyclopedia, edited by Stanley L. Sandler, ABC-CLIO, Inc., 2002.
- Radio Interview – Harry Allen's "Nonfiction" concerning Mud for WBAI, New York – 99.5 FM Pacifica Radio (www.wbai.org), June 15, 2007.
- CSPAN-2 Book TV -- "Mud: A Military History," at the Association of the U. S. Army's (AUSA) annual meeting -- Washington D.C., October 2006.
- "British Implementation of the Martial Race Theory in the Indian Army: A Military Perspective, 1857-1893," Northern Great Plains History Conference, Bismarck North Dakota, October 2004.
- "The Cold I Don't Mind, but the Mud is Intolerable: The Influence of Mud on Military Morale," Missouri Valley History Conference, Omaha Nebraska, March 2002.