Ph. D. - The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
M.S. - The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
B.S.- Berea College
Dr. O’Dell joined the Glenville State faculty in 2007 after previously working at Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College. He teaches courses in inorganic, analytical, and physical chemistry, as well as astronomy and modern physics. Dr. O’Dell’s research interests include solute transport modeling in soils, as well as methods in science education.
- Taylor, J., and J.D. O’Dell. 2015. Determining the Contributing Factors and Interventions of School Dropout Rates in One Rural School District. 104th Annual Conference of the International Association for Truancy and Dropout Prevention, San Antonio, TX.
- O’Dell, J.D. 2013. Science and Pseudoscience: Sorting Fact from Fiction. The Impact of Science and Religion on Society, Glenville State College.
- O’Dell, J.D. 2011. Homeopathy: Getting Nothing for Something. Chi Beta Phi mini-conference, Glenville, WV.
- O’Dell, J.D. 2010. Predicting Student Success in the First Semester of College Chemistry. West Virginia Academy of Sciences, Morgantown, WV.
- O’Dell, J.D. 2010. Finding Our Place In the Universe: The Early Years. Chi Beta Phi presentation, Glenville, WV.
- Yamamoto, T., G. Gibbs, and J.D. O’Dell. 2009. Evaluation of a Portable Visible Spectrometer and Data Logger For Colorimetric Analysis. West Virginia Academy of Sciences, Glenville, WV.
- O’Dell, J.D. 2007. Falling Off the Edge: Myths and Misconceptions About the Flat Earth. Chi Beta Phi presentation, Glenville, WV.