Financial Aid - Frequently Asked Questions

What is a FAFSA form?

FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid and may be completed online using your FSA ID and password at Glenville State University’s federal financial aid school code number is 003813. If you do not already have an FSA ID and password, you may create one at the same site.

How do I get financial aid?

A FAFSA form is required each year to apply for federal and state aid. The WV Grant FAFSA filing deadline is April 15. Check FAFSA deadlines for various grants and scholarships. In addition to completing a FAFSA, high school students must also complete a state application at by May 1 to apply for the WV PROMISE Scholarship.

Why do I have to fill out an admissions application to get financial aid processed?

Filling out an admissions application will get you into our computer system so that your FAFSA can be matched to you by your social security number. Be sure to accurately list BOTH your Social Security Number and Date of Birth to prevent delays. The admissions application is available online at and paper applications are available upon request

Do you have my FAFSA yet?

Glenville processes FAFSA records on a weekly basis. A letter and email will be sent to students when the FAFSA arrives. This letter provides information on what to do next and forms that need to be completed and returned. Be sure all required signatures are provided. Students may also view their information on the web by clicking going to Current Students from the Glenville home page,, and then click on EdNet to proceed to login (Enter Secure Area).

Why are there deadlines?

April 15 is the deadline to file a FAFSA to apply for the WV Grant. May 1 is the deadline for high school students to be considered for the WV PROMISE Scholarship. Deadlines may vary by state or program.

If I miss a deadline, will I receive any help?

WV Higher Education Grant deadline is April 15, although earlier submission is recommended. All FAFSAs received will continue to be processed for any available aid.

What if my tax information isn’t ready by the time I file my FAFSA?

The FAFSA now uses prior-prior tax year information, so there should be no reason that your and your parents’ taxes should not be ready by the time you file your FAFSA. For example, if you are filing the 2023-2024 FAFSA, you will be using 2021 tax year information. When you are filing your FAFSA, please be sure to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if possible to ensure more accurate reporting.

What if the prior-prior tax year information doesn’t accurately reflect my current financial situation?

If there has been a loss of income due to special circumstances such as unemployment, divorce/separation, unusual medical expenses, or other extenuating circumstances, please contact the Financial Aid Office to see if you would qualify for a professional judgment/adjustment for special circumstances. A counselor will walk you through the process upon contact.

If I live out of state, do I have to apply by April 15?

While out-of-state residents do not qualify for the WV financial aid programs, there may be other programs to consider.

I don’t live with my parents. Why do I have to list their information on the FAFSA?

Unless a student meets specific guidelines listed on the FAFSA, parental information is required to be provided to comply with the US Department of Education requirements until the student is 24 years of age.

If my parents are divorced, do I have to list both parents’ income on the FAFSA?

You will list the income of the parent with whom you live and provides the most support. If that parent is married to someone else, then that person’s identifying information and income must also be listed. You would not include the income of the other biological parent.

Are there scholarships available from the school?

Glenville State awards a variety of scholarships. To be considered for academic scholarships, a current FAFSA, an official EFC, and an academic scholarship application are required. The academic scholarship application may be found here:

Academic Scholarship Application

Are there other scholarship programs?

There are online scholarship searches such as fastweb and College for West Virginia. Also ask your high school counselor or your academic department about local or departmental scholarship opportunities.

Are there jobs on campus?

Yes. Applications are submitted online from the Job Opportunities link at the bottom of the GSU homepage. Students must maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.0 to work. The GSU Human Resources Office assists with job placements and payroll documents (W-4, I-20, etc.). Income earned from working is paid to students on a bi-weekly basis.

When will I find out about my financial aid awards?

Award notifications are mailed and emailed to first-time students as soon as possible after verification is completed, usually beginning in January. Returning students are notified through their GSU email accounts. The College Financing Plan is available on students’ EdNet accounts after awards are made. You must meet all eligibility requirements and be fully accepted (all transcript, shot records, test scores, etc.) with the Admissions Office before funds will pay to your account. Attendance documentation is also required before financial aid disbursement.

Do I have enough money to pay for school?

You may use the Net Price Calculator that is on the website to get an estimate, or you may request an estimate from one of our Financial Aid staff members via use of the estimate request form available at

Am I eligible for student loans?

There are a variety of loan programs for students and parents to consider to help pay for college. These are funds that must be repaid. Completion of Student Loan Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note is required for all first-time borrowers. Student Loan Entrance Counseling is also requested each year for all other borrowers. All requirements may be completed at

What are some other payment options?

Cash, check, and credit cards are accepted. Contact the Cashier’s Office to find out about the institutional payment plan for tuition, fees, room, and board, or for any questions about costs and payments.

What happens if I have to drop a class?

There are no refunds on a dropped class. Dropping too many classes can jeopardize future financial aid eligibility. Repayment of funds may be required upon total withdrawal from all classes. Please check in with the Financial Aid Office prior to dropping classes or withdrawing from school.

What if I have to withdraw from school?

Procedures must be followed to withdraw from school, as well as residence halls, to be sure all records are updated. Students may be required to repay some financial aid funds. Please refer to GSU’s Return of Title IV (R2T4) Funds Policy for more information. Students with loans would need to complete Student Loan Exit Counseling at and also begin the six-month grace period before repayment is due. See for your loan history.

What is Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

To remain eligible for financial aid at Glenville, students must pass at least 2/3 of all attempted classes and maintain a minimum overall grade point average. Student records are reviewed at the end of each semester, including summer. If a student is placed on financial aid suspension, a successful financial aid appeal is required before receiving financial aid again. See the full Financial Aid SAP Policy at:

Are there funds for summer school?

Summer school funds are limited. Students must register and submit a summer school application to the Financial Aid Office to be reviewed for summer aid.

How can I find out more?

Details of this information and more are available on our website and in the college catalog. Take time to carefully review all of the materials provided to you. Check your GSU email and your EdNet records regularly. Contact the Financial Aid Office with any questions. Please also visit our Financial Literacy videos for more general information: