Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is the first step to obtaining disability services?
    The first step is to contact the Academic Success Center and self-identify.

  2. What documentation is needed to receive disability services?
    Students wishing to receive accommodation or accessibility services must self-identify and provide proper documentation to the Academic Success Center. Such documentation includes individual education plans, psychological assessments, and/or medical records. These reports must validate the disabling condition.

    Verification of psychiatric and psychological disabilities can be provided by a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW), licensed professional counselor (LPC), psychologist, psychiatrist or neurologist. The licensed health care professional must be an impartial third party not employed by Glenville State College and must not have a familial relationship to the student.  

    Familial relationship for the purposes of providing medical verification means student or treatment provider in the relationship of husband, wife, father, mother, brother, sister, son, daughter, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, grandfather, grandmother, grandson or granddaughter, or any of those relationships arising as a result of marriage (for example, brother-in-law).   

  3. What types of accommodations are available?
    A variety of services are available. Some of the examples are extended time on tests, isolated test administration, books on CD, and a reader for exams. For a complete list of accommodations please contact the Academic Success Center.

  4. How do my instructors know what services I am eligible to receive?
    Once the student meets with the Accommodations and Accessibility Counselor in the Academic Success Center and a plan for accommodations has been established, the next step is the notification of faculty and staff. Letters are written to notify the instructors that, "John Doe is a student in your (specified) class that has a documented disability." The letter further elaborates on what accommodations are necessary for that student.

  5. How frequently do I need to update my file for accommodations?
    Student files must be updated prior to the start of a new semester. In order to do so, the student must complete an updated Semester Plan requesting accommodations for another semester and provide a copy of the semester schedule to the Accommodations and Accessibility Counselor in the Academic Success Center.

  6. Are there any special guidelines that need to be followed throughout the semester?
    Students who are requesting alternative test accommodations must schedule their tests with the Academic Success Center two days prior to the exam and notify faculty. If the two day notice is not given there is no guarantee that the accommodations can be granted. Other special guidelines may be required based on accommodations provided; please see the Accommodations and Accessibility Counselor for more information regarding this.

  7. As a student with a disability leaving high school and entering postsecondary education, will I see differences in my rights and how they are addressed?
    Yes. Several of the requirements that apply through high school are different from the requirements that apply beyond high school. Unlike your high school, your postsecondary school is not required to provide free appropriate public education. Rather, your postsecondary school is required to provide appropriate academic adjustments as necessary to ensure that it does not discriminate on the basis of disability. In addition, if the postsecondary school provides housing to nondisabled students, it must provide comparable, convenient, and accessible housing to students with disabilities at the same cost.

  8. Where is the office of disability services located?
    The Accommodations and Accessibility Counselor's office is located on the third floor of the Robert F. Kidd Library in the Academic Success Center.

  9. Can changes be made to services I receive?
    Yes, you can meet with the Accommodations and Accessibility Counselor at any time if you need your accommodations adjusted. Please contact the office at 304-462-6051 to schedule an appointment.