Alumni Center History
The Alumni Center, once known as the Arbuckle House, was built in 1905 in the typical turn-of-the century Queen Anne style. The house's most outstanding characteristics are its octagonal tower, classical porches, and extraordinary interior detail.
The beautiful designs on the interior wood banisters and moldings were handcrafted specifically for the Arbuckle family. Around 1980, a local contractor purchased the home and refinished all of the oak doorways, stair cases, trim, and mantles -- but, interestingly, never lived in the house. He sold it to the Alumni Association in 1985.
Since then, the walls and floors have been resurfaced, thanks to the generosity of alumni who have donated funds for this purpose. In 1990, it gained the interest of Arthur and Joyce Geyh, who made frequent visits to Glenville to see the progress of the house and to donate their time, gifts, and decorating flair. The efforts of the Geyhs and the donations of generous alumni have molded this home into a beautiful welcome center.
Whether they have a few minutes to stop by or a few hours to relax, GSU’s alums are invited to make themselves at home in the Alumni Center which serves as their information center to the campus and is home to various alumni social events throughout the year.
The Arbuckle House is registered with the National Register of Historic Places.