Tobacco Cessation Programs
Free to all WV residents. It provides helpful tools to help you quit smoking, including:
- Free nicotine replacement therapies (NRT), like patches, gum and lozenges.
- Free calls with a trained cessation coach to create and carry out your personalized quit plan.
- Free educational materials.
PEIA Tobacco Cessation Program
- PEIA PPB Plans A, B & D provide benefits for participants who wish to quit smoking.
- To access these benefits, simply visit your primary care provider. PEIA will cover an initial and follow-up visit to your physician or nurse practitioner.
- Tobacco-cessation products, both prescription and non-prescription are available at no cost when prescribed by a physician and purchased at a network pharmacy. Both are deductible and copayment are waived.
- PEIA will cover two 12-week cycles of drug therapy, even if more than one type of therapy is used. If extended therapy is required, the provider must submit a written appeal to the Director of PEIA with proof of medical necessity.
- You can use the benefit (office visits and prescriptions) twice per year (rolling 12 month period). For pregnant participants, PEIA will provide 100% coverage for the tobacco cessation benefit during any pregnancy.
- Tobacco cessation products covered under the ACA Preventative Services are:
- Bupropion HCl tab SR 12 hr 150 mg
- Chantix tab 0.5 mg and 1 mg
- Chantix tab 0.5 mg x 11 tabs and 1 mg x 42 pack
- Nicotine polacrilex gum 2 mg and 4 mg
- Nicotine polacrilex lozenge 2 mg and 4 mg
- Nicotine TD patch 24 hr 21 mg, 14 mg and 7 mg/24 hr
- Nicotrol inhaler system 10 mg
- Nicotrol NS nasal spray 10 mg/mL
- Only those members who have been paying the Standard (tobacco user) premium are eligible for the Tobacco Cessation benefit. If you signed an affidavit claiming to be tobacco-free, you will be declined the Tobacco Cessation benefit.
- Members who become tobacco-free during a plan year may apply for the discount when they have been tobacco-free for at least 6 months. PEIA has sixty days from receipt of the tobacco affidavit to process the request and implement the discount. The tobacco-free discount will apply only to future premiums, and will not be applied retroactively. No refunds will be granted based on tobacco status.
- Newly hired insureds must have been tobacco-free for 6 months prior to their effective date of coverage to qualify for the discount, and must complete the tobacco affidavit online or on paper to receive the discount.
- Tips/Information on tobacco cessation, not an actual program.
- Live Chat available with a trained counselor about quitting.
Smokefree Apps on the Appstore
- Free app that helps you understand your smoking patterns and build the skills needed to become and stay smoke free.
- Takes the information you provide about your smoking history and gives you detailed tips, inspiration, and challenges to help you become smoke free.