DegreeWorks FAQ

General FAQ

What is Degree Works?
Degree Works is a web-based tool for students to monitor their academic progress toward degree completion any time. It is designed to enhance the academic advising process and is not intended to replace face-to-face meetings with your academic advisor. The "What If" function allows you to hypothetically change your degree, major, minor or concentration to show you what coursework is required, what courses you have taken that satisfy requirements and what courses are still left for you to take.
Can I access Degree Works on any computer?
Yes. Access to Degree Works is located on the main menu of your EdNet account. Anywhere you can log into your EdNet account you will have access to Degree Works.
Is my information confidential?
Yes. The only individuals that have access to your Degree Works information are you, your advisor and selected staff who will need access for the purpose of supporting your progress to completion of your academic degree.
How current will my information be in Degree Works?
The information in Degree Works is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (i.e. grade changes, dropping and adding of classes, course substitutions, etc.) will be seen in Degree Works tomorrow. If your information isn't up-to-date it could be due to paperwork not being completed or an outstanding transcript for transfer work. Check with the Registrar's Office if your audit does not reflect transfer work you have completed.
Can I register for classes in Degree Works?
No. Degree Works is a snapshot of courses in-progress and in academic history. It should be utilized as a resource in conjunction with the other resources you have access to through your EdNet account. Registration procedures have not changed with the addition of Degree Works.
Can I see a list of all the classes I've taken?
Yes. On the Audit tab, click on the Class History link at the top for a printable list of courses (with grades) taken at GSC as well as transfer courses.
What do I do if I believe my academic information is incorrect?
You should consult your academic advisor for a review of your audit and to discuss any exception to major, minor or concentration requirements.
My major is wrong, what should I do?
Complete a Change of Major Form, have it signed by your academic advisor, and return it to the Registrar's Office for processing.
My advisor told me that a course I took would be substituted for a requirement. Why doesn't this information appear in my audit?
You should contact your advisor to resolve any substitution issue. Course Substitution Requests must be initiated by the academic advisor. The request must be approved by the Department Chair within whose department the required course is offered. The final decision is made by the Provost. Once it has been approved the change will be put into your record and then the course substitution will appear on your audit.
My advisor told me that a course/requirement would be waived. Why doesn't this information appear in my audit?
For a course/requirement to be waived, you must submit an Academic Petition with your academic advisor's signature to the Registrar's Office. The final decision regarding the request is made by the Provost. Once the request is approved, the change will be put into your record and will appear on your audit.
If all of the boxes are checked, does that mean I'm graduating?
Not necessarily. Once you have applied to graduate, the Certification Analyst in the Registrar's Office will perform a preliminary audit of your coursework prior to the add/drop period of your final semester and a final audit after all final grades have been submitted to determine if you are eligible to graduate. Missing requirements will be communicated to you through your campus email by the Certification Analyst.
How do I apply for graduation?
You need to apply for graduation by the published deadline in the academic calendar by completing the Graduation Application. You will need to attach a copy of your degree audit to your graduation application.
Is my degree audit the same as my official GSC transcript?
No. Although both documents will show all coursework completed, they are arranged differently. Your GSC transcript is arranged by each semester and is the final and official documentation of your academic record at GSC.
I have some questions about Degree Works. Who can help me?
Press the help button located next to the FAQ button on your audit. This button brings up a new email message where you can ask your question(s). The Registrar's Office will respond to your question(s).

Audit FAQ

A Degree Works audit is a review of past and current coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding catalog requirements necessary to complete your degree. The audit is divided into block requirements such as Degree, General Education, and Major Requirements. Each block works like a checklist that has boxes that are automatically checked when a requirement is met.

Will I be able to view my entire course history?
Degree Works uses information that is current for your transcript. You will be able to view any courses that you have completed/registered for/transferred by the date your audit was last refreshed. (Data is refreshed nightly). Keep in mind that any transfer work or grade changes that have not been formally submitted and accepted will not appear on your audit. You should follow up with your academic advisor to ensure necessary paperwork has been completed.
Where can I find my major GPA?
Your major GPA is a calculated GPA based on coursework used to fulfill major requirements. This GPA will appear within the major block requirements of your audit.
How do I know what classes I need to take?
Your audit will outline for you courses still needed to meet degree, major, minor and/or concentration requirements within each specific block. You may then use this information to discuss your plan with your academic advisor.
I don't understand the Registration Checklist
What do the symbols checkmark, red square, wavy line, double wavy line, (IP), (*) and (@) mean?
checkmark = complete, red box = not complete, wavy line = complete except for classes in-progress, double wavy line = nearly complete (see your advisor), (IP) = in progress, and (*) = course is either a pre-requisite or requires a pre-requisite. If the @ sign appears with course numbers after it (i.e. @100:499), it means that you can take any 100-499 level course. If it appears after a subject prefix (i.e. ENGL@), it means you can take any course with that subject prefix.
I think the requirements for my major are wrong.
Look at the catalog term that appears on the major requirements block of the audit. According to our records this is the catalog that you are using to complete your degree. If you want to change your catalog year, you will need to stop by the Registrar's Office to take care of that.
I'm getting two degrees. Why can't I see my second degree?
You can access your second degree audit by using the Degree drop-down menu at the top of the screen.
Why isn't my transfer work meeting a requirement?
There could be two reasons. First, the transfer course was determined not to be an equivalent course. Second, the course did not meet either the minimum number of credits and/or minimum grade requirement for use in your program of study.
If I withdraw from a class, will that be reflected in my audit?
Yes. Courses from which you have withdrawn will appear in the Not Passed Block on your audit.
Why do I receive a blank window when I click on the "Save as PDF" button?
A Degree Works audit contains a large amount of information and because of this it will take 15-20 seconds for the PDF to generate.
How do I print a copy of my audit?
Just press the "Print" button in the upper right hand corner of the audit.

"What If" Audit FAQ

If I use the "What If" feature does this mean I have changed my major?
No. The "What If" function is for information purposes only. You will see the header "What If" Audit displayed at the top of the audit whenever an audit is run on the "What If" scenario.
Can my advisor see my "What If" scenario?
Since "What If" scenarios are not stored on Degree Works, your advisor can only see your results if the two of you work through a "What If" procedure together.
Can I view multiple "What If" scenarios on the same screen?
Yes, Degree Works will allow you to select multiple majors, minors and concentrations. Consult your catalog for approved degree/major/minor/concentration combinations.
Can I print a "What If" scenario?
Why am I receiving an error when I run a "What If" scenario?
The "What If" tool requires that you make a selection in the "Academic Year" field. Failure to select a year will result in an error.


What does the cumulative calculator show?
The cumulative calculator option on the GPA Calc Tab will show what average you will need in your remaining credits to graduate with your required/desired GPA.
What does the cumulative calculator (includes current term) show?
The cumulative calculator (includes current term) option on the GPA Calc tab will show an estimate of your cumulative GPA. Degree Works will pull in your current earned credits and GPA and place your in-progress courses in the table where you can then enter the anticipated grade for each course. You will then see a revised cumulative GPA based on the estimates you provided.
What does the desired GPA calculator show?
The Desired GPA Calculator option on the GPA Calc tab will show various credit and grade scenarios in order for you to achieve your desired cumulative GPA.
Is the calculated GPA guaranteed?
No. This is an estimate only.